We here at Hemp Crate Co support the Black Lives Matter movement and denounce mass incarcerations, especially those arrests and incarcerations for non-violent, drug-based offenses. Being a CBD Subscription Box company, this means we support people finding alternative means of healing themselves. We recognize that the American criminal justice system is set up to disproportionately penalize people of certain races and socioeconomic statuses and this often manifests itself in erroneous drug charges.
That’s why starting today we’re matching any and all donations, up to $500 in total, for organizations that support preventing the systematic imprisonment of those who are disadvantaged. We’re still a small company and a start-up, but feel as though we should do what we can.
Specifically, we will be donating our matches to the The Bail Project. Below is a list of organizations you may consider donating to:
Please DM (@hempcrateco) or email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) a copy of your receipt or proof of donation, and we’ll reply with a matching donation.
Here are a few more quotes and statistics you may consider when weighing the issues currently at hand:
- Today, people of color make up 37% of the U.S. population but 67% of the prison population.
- Overall, African Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested; once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted; and once convicted, they are more likely to face longer sentences.
- Black men are six times as likely to be incarcerated as white men and Hispanic men are more than twice as likely to be incarcerated as non-Hispanic white men.
- Although cannabis use is roughly equal among blacks and whites, African Americans are over three times more likely to be arrested or cited for cannabis possession as compared to whites, according to an ACLU review of government data.
- People who are jailed pretrial often wait months, and sometimes years, for their cases to resolve. In the meantime, they can lose their jobs, homes, children, and critical community ties.
Thank you for your support.